5 Websites I Use to Buy Refurbished Apple Devices & Other Electronics
When it comes to buying expensive phones or electronics my preferred method for being frugal is purchasing a refurbished device. They provide a noteworthy discount with the added value of the warranty and peace of mind.
It is no secret that Apple devices provide a superior ecosystem and seamless experience that many users have come to love and want. However, Apple devices cost significantly more than any other manufacture. A 512 GB iPhone Pro max costs whopping $1449 and the newly released MacBook Air $999. Yes, you can finance or use a credit card to split payments. However, if you are someone like me who does not mind a little bit of research and wants to own the devices without the added hassle of monthly payment this article is for you. Over the years most of the devices that I have bought are certified refurbished. If you don’t need the latest and greatest feature immediately and able to wait for 6–12 months, consider buying a refurbished device. They are also good for the environment, less e-waste.
Decluttr is a website where you can buy and sell all kinds of devices, CD & DVDs (yes, those still exist). I bought a couple of devices from Decluttr including a refurbished iPhone 8 for a family member last year. If you are looking for a no-fuss website to buy a refurbished iPhone, iPad, Laptop give this site a try. I have been satisfied with my purchases so far.
- Free 12 month limited warranty
- Discounted pricing on the devices
- Free shipping
- Good ratings on TrustPilot
- Can also sell your old devices
- No picture of the device you are buying
- Does not provide any real example picture of what they mean by pristine, very good and good conditions
- Devices might or might not come with all the accessories
I have bought 3 iPhones and sold one on Swappa and it has been a smooth transaction each time. So, why not put them as number 1? Simply put as a buyer the return and warranty policy is not favorable. For any returns, the buyer pays the shipping fee unless the seller specified to cover it. The website functions based on the good-faith policy and many users have reported having a positive buying and selling experience.
- Listings are verified by Swappa staff before going live
- Includes various pictures of the device that is being sold and it is a requirement
- Free shipping, transparent fee
- If you have any problem with your transaction or device you can ask Swappa to step in and assist
Up until Amazon renewed program was launched eBay was my favorite place to buy all kinds of refurbished electronics. Before you buy anything eBay be sure to look at the seller ratings, read some recent reviews, look at the return and shipping policy and purchase with a credit card.
- A vast amount of listings and seller to choose from
- Reputable sellers provide 6–12 months warranty
- Accumulate eBay bucks if you shop often and use it later towards your new purchase
- Provides buyer protection
- Not all listings includes actual device pictures, only stock photo
- Have to spend time on research individual sellers
- Some of the sellers (scammers) abuse the site i.e. empty box scam, counterfeit goods and more
BackMarket is the newest kid on the block when it comes to selling refurbished devices. They have an environmental pitch i.e. less e-waste, reduce carbon footprint and so on. Their website is intuitive, modern and easy to navigate.
- Certified refurbished devices
- Apple-refurbished iPhone comes with a 12 month AppleCare, honored at Apple Stores, other devices include 1-year warranty
- Includes various accessories and OEM boxes for most of the purchases
- Free Shipping with 14 days return window
- A customer service number you can call if run into any issues
- Refunds are only possible for returns made within the 30 day return period
- No photo of the device you are buying but they do provide a clear guideline
1. Amazon Renewed
The products from Amazon Renewed are inspected and tested by qualified suppliers to work and look like new and comes with a minimum 90-day. And with the added benefit of Amazon prime free shipping and easy return is why Amazon Renewed is my number one pick to purchase refurbished Apple devices or any other electronics. Keep in mind the devices themselves are sold by manufacturers or specialized third-party refurbishers, who must meet strict criteria to be able to sell on Amazon Renewed. I am writing this article on a refurbished Dell E7270 Latitude Laptop that I bought from the Amazon Renewed.
- Free fast shipping and returns for Prime members
- 30 days return policy
- Eligible for a replacement or refund within 90 days of receiving the product
- Anyone can’t sell, the sellers have to be approved by Amazon
- Good customer service, quick support for claims and free troubleshooting
- Could be a bit pricier compared to other websites mentioned here
- No picture of the device you are buying
- Warranty should be more extensive
Apple has its own certified refurbished devices that come with 1 year AppleCare which also can be extended. The discount is not that exciting hence, the exclusion from the list. In conclusion, if you spend about 30–40 minutes doing a bit of reading and research techniques mentioned above you will save a good amount of money and be a smart Apple device owner.
Originally published on: April 17, 2020